BLHS Changes Culture With Bobcat Way

Written by: Jeda French, Reporter

Bobcats are people who have character, integrity, leadership, respect, academic excellence, and many other traits. The Bobcat Way is a campaign of all the things that Basehor does, rather than the things that they don’t. It is also a reflection of the students and who they are as people. The students represent something more than themselves; they represent a community.

“The Bobcat way is an expectation. An expectation to do everything a certain way, to do it better than others. We have core values and we are committing to following those core values,” principal Jarred Fuhrman said.

It gives students a model to follow so that they know what it means to be a Bobcat.

“I think The Bobcat Way gives the students a daily standard. If we continue to develop this standard it has the power to change the culture of our student body inside and outside of the school day. The Bobcat Way takes the core values of our building and school district and summarizes them in one key phrase. The Bobcat Way can be used to recognize, encourage, and develop students,” assistant principal Jared Jackson said.

With all the new changes to the building, The Bobcat Way is a culture change. It represents a new beginning for the entire school district.

“A lot of us, we come in as freshmen, we’re insecure, we’re not sure how to behave or how to act, and so sometimes we’re drawn to the negative things of school. But when the freshmen come in, they realize what it means to be a Bobcat, which is pretty powerful because all of a sudden there’s a culture change. The whole environment of our school, I believe, is different this year than the years past,” teacher Justin Oberndorfer said.

The Bobcat Way does not only exist in the school, or at school activities. It represents the idea of pride, who the students are and where they come from.

“The Bobcat Way, to me, is to represent those values in our school in a way that no matter if I’m in a sport, or if I’m in the streets. I have those same values, those same traits, those same characteristics exist no matter what. So if I’m at the Legends watching a movie, The Bobcat Way still exists. I don’t act a fool when I’m out of school or in school because I represent something bigger than myself,” Oberndorfer said.

In the short time students have been in school, there has already been a change.

“From our Bobcat Way cards to seeing it painted on faces at tailgates and pep rallies, it has been fun to see how the students have ran with it and made it their school statement. That was our goal. All it takes is a simple ‘The Bobcat Way’ statement and the community knows they are a reflection of the entire community,” athletic director Ross Schwisow said.