A Day in the Life of Jarred Fuhrman

Fuhrman checking his email in his office.

Written by: Trinity Krouse, Reporter

Before coming to BLHS in 2008, principal Jarred Fuhrman taught Spanish at Jefferson County North High School for four years. At the beginning of the 2016 school year, Fuhrman became the principal of BLHS, after he served as the assistant principal for eight years. A look into the daily duties, in and out of school, of Fuhrman shows that he is not only the current principal, but a devoted family man.

“I start my day checking some email, making sure I take about 15 or 20 minutes to look at my schedule,” said Fuhrman. “I try to always be out in the hallway to greet kids before school.”

Fuhrman tries to spend as much time with students as possible, but sometimes that is bombarded by meetings.

“I spend most of my days in meetings,” said Fuhrman, “Whether with teachers, with students, with other administrators at different schools… I have a lot of meetings. Sometimes I just have meetings to set up other meetings.”

Regardless of how Fuhrman is spending his time, whether with students or faculty, he strives to a non-biased party.

“The important piece that I always try to do is to listen to people, and to be able to hear their side of the story whether I agree with it or not,” said Fuhrman. “I want to be able to listen to them. Some of my meetings probably take longer than they should, but I try to hear people out and try to hear where they’re coming from, everybody’s got a story.”

Four o’clock is when Fuhrman usually leaves school. Although Fuhrman goes home, he never really gets to leave work.

“The hardest part of my job is that is it 24/7. There really is no break when it comes to being a principal- It’s all the time. You always are on duty, you never really take vacations and they always need to get a hold of you. There is never really a time when I can turn it off,” said Fuhrman.

Fuhrman​ ​has​ ​two kids​, Kennadi, and Maxxwell ​and​ ​a​ ​wife​, Kassi Fuhrman. On top of being reachable at work, ​he​ ​makes​ ​sure​ ​he​ ​spends​ ​quality​ ​time​ ​with​ ​his family each​ ​day.

“My daughter is 8 and my son is 6. So I try to spend some time with them… 8:00 is bedtime for my kids, so I get half hour to 45 minutes to sit down have a conversation with my wife at that point,” Fuhrman said.

Some of the activities Fuhrman does with his kids is reading, watching movies, playing catch or cards, and spending time at church or his neighbor’s house.

“Family is so important to me. My kids and my wife,” said Fuhrman. “It’s being there to see them grow…to see them become the person they want to be.”

​Fuhrman’s​ ​daily​ ​life​ ​involves​ ​two​ ​main​ ​focuses:​ ​Basehor-Linwood​ ​High​ ​School,​ ​and​ ​his family.