New student’s take on the BLHS family

New student’s take on the BLHS family

Written by: Kristen Kahler, Reporter

Basehor-Linwood is full of smiling faces, helping hands, and passionate people

Prior to attending Basehor, I attended Shawnee Mission Northwest. Northwest was very diverse, populated, and loud. Students were constantly getting reprimanded for being too noisy, but I always thought that may have been because there were over 1,600 students there. Here has similar groups of people, but is less crowded. With a staggering 15 people in my history class compared to 33 at SMNW, it’s quite a change. Basehor does have that ‘everybody knows everybody’ vibe which can seem intimidating at times, but once I jumped in, everyone has been quite welcoming.

When I walked into my advisory class, one student sat right next to me and welcomed me. When I mentioned being new, half the class made an effort to introduce themselves and make me feel like I was a part of the school. That made me actually want to go to school the next day so I could meet more friendly people. The staff has been incredibly helpful and understanding, which I appreciate so very much. I feel like I can trust all my teachers if I’m ever in need, which is a warmth that I hadn’t felt before I moved here.

An interesting thing that I’ve experienced is being asked where I live after saying I just moved here. What’s even more strange is people then knowing exactly where I live, as well as the names of all of my neighbors. At SMNW, knowing where people live is bizarre, though having friends that live slightly far away is common, just as it is here.

Northwest could compete in sports, but excelled in the arts. Debate, Forensics, Journalism, and Theater were all programs with large numbers, as well as bragging rights. Around here Strength and Conditioning is huge, and the arts are much smaller. That’s been quite a change. Anytime I say I’m in newspaper, people don’t seem to get as excited as they did at Northwest.

My passion has always been 4-H and showing livestock, something people at Northwest just didn’t understand. Here it’s a norm, which makes me feel even more included and excited to meet people who share the same passion as me.

Overall, Basehor has shown me what it’s like to feel truly welcome. Everyone is incredibly helpful and friendly, and that has helped me so much throughout this transition. Thank you to all who have shown me what it’s like to be a part of a family in a school, and I’m very excited to be a Bobcat.