Morgan Lindsay: Overnight Tik Tok Famous

Written by: Emily Long, Reporter

TikTok is a social media app that lets users create and share short lip-sync, comedy and talent videos. This is how senior Morgan Lindsay would describe TikTok.  She joined the trend after she saw her friends making videos on the app. When she decided to download it for herself, little did she know that a month later, a video she made would go viral. 

“My goal wasn’t to become TikTok famous. I just wanted to make videos for fun,” said Lindsay. 

Lindsay was able to grow to 45,000 followers on the app within three days, which has made her the most followed person on the app from Basehor Linwood High School. What made Lindsay an overnight sensation was a video that she posted with her boyfriend, Cameron Blevins, senior at Piper High School. The video included clips of them from over the course of their relationship. The video was even shared on Instagram (relationshipvid.usa) and gained over 2 million views.

“We’ve been dating for over a year now, and I made it for our one-year, not even knowing it would go viral,” said Lindsay. 

When she looked the next day, the video had gone viral with 3.5 million views on TikTok.  She was not trying to gain popularity, which is unusual as the goal of many people who join TikTok is to become recognized and go viral. 

“I did post [on TikTok] saying [I’d] hope [to be] TikTok famous by my senior year,” said Lindsay. 

Since the anniversary video, Lindsay has made more TikToks alongside friends, doing dances and following online trends. 

“Honestly, I just winged it. I didn’t really try,” said Lindsay. 

If Lindsay has any advice about becoming viral, she says the best ways to do that are using hashtags because that is where most people get noticed. Though she didn’t use any hashtags herself, Lindsay says that the best hashtags to get recognized on the “For You” page are #fyp or #foryoupage.