Rosetta Spratt: How Music Motivates Me

Rosetta Spratt: How Music Motivates Me

Written by: Kristen Kahler, Reporter

Junior Rosie Spratt is all about empowerment and self-love. She is in powerlifting and advanced classes like Calculus and even though her schedule keeps her busy, she remains calm and supportive. From people she knows to complete strangers, Spratt provides light in other students’ lives.

Spratt is most passionate about the music world and it all started when she was very young. Her mother’s goal to give Spratt the love of knowledge started her music journey. 

“My mom wanted me to learn how to read really early, so she printed out song lyrics and taught me to read those,” Spratt said. 

Her parents had very little music experience. Her dad played the drums and was in marching band, but that was the extent of his knowledge. When Spratt began to sing the lyrics she had learned to read, her mom pushed for her to express her voice through song. A few years later, Spratt started singing in choir and talent shows that were outside of school.

“At my first talent show I sang ‘Natural Woman’ by Aretha Franklin, and that moment made me decide that this is my thing,” Spratt said. “It puts me in my own little world. I block everything out. Then it’s just me, my piano and my voice.”

Spratt started playing piano for the jazz band sophomore year, as well as singing in mixed chorus. She didn’t think the band class would be a good fit for her because she taught herself to play. She feared she would face difficulty in reading music, instead of playing by ear. 

“I never thought I would be doing band. I like jazz, but I never thought I would be good enough to be in the band because I didn’t take traditional lessons,” Spratt said. 

Spratt says that without music, her strenuous school work and life challenges would overwhelm her immensely. Spratt is a big advocate of finding your own vocal identity. It’s how she expresses her individuality and passionate energy.

“You can’t act powerful or act like you have a strong voice, you have to actually feel it and learn it for yourself. My advice to find your individuality in your voice is don’t stop singing. Find a song that you can relate to. Once you have that feeling in your mind and in your heart, just sing,” Spratt said. 

Spratt has often collaborated with fellow mixed choir student, Kniya Harris. Last school year, the two would sing together during Bobcat for fun, and occasionally Harris would post clips of the two singing on Snapchat. Spratt says it’s very important to her to make her own music, as well as having fun with her friends. 

“I don’t know how Kniya and I connected. I think she found my Youtube channel, then we started talking about it and it just went up from there. When we sang together for the first time, we got super excited because of how great we blended together,” Spratt said.

Spratt started writing her own music this summer. Spratt plans on releasing a song in December through her Instagram. Spratt wants to encourage other young people to utilize their outlet of song to express themselves because of the impact it’s had on her as a person.

“Don’t think about it, just start singing. Who cares what other people think? You should love it for yourself,” Spratt said.