BLHS Seniors Painting their Paw

Written by: Sierra Salazar, Reporter

As the 2017-18 school year progresses on, the seniors go deeper into their last year here. From powderpuff games to homecoming, painting the paw on the street near the student parking lot is one of the biggest traditions. On Thursday, Sept. 21, the paws were painted outside during Bobcat Time. The seniors painted, putting things about themselves and alike.

“[I painted] a volleyball and basketball because I play volleyball and basketball. [I put] KSU on my paw because that’s where I’m going to go to college next year,” said Katie Yankovich.

Over the years the tradition has been carried out, it has become apart of the senior experience that settles things into place. For some, it sets in the realization of what they are going to be doing this year – graduating.

“This is the biggest thing. The seniors, while they were painting, they kept saying ‘I can’t believe I’m doing this right now. This is crazy’,” said senior class sponsor Erin Amrein.

Everyday students walk past the paw prints. They’re seen each day, and there is meaning behind it for the senior students who painted their paws. Even though the paws are just paint, Timothy Tush looked up to it since he was a child.

“[Painting the paws] means that we’re getting ready to get out of here,” said Tush. “I think it’s pretty cool. It’s something I’ve wanted to do since I was little. Seeing all the older kids put their paws on there and I put my last name, my baseball number and a big baseball helmet.”

More than Tush agree the paws signify that they will finally be graduating this year and off on their journeys. Graduation year is here for the seniors and the paws help settle in the truth.

“It means that we’re officially seniors and we’re graduating this year,” said Megan McMillen.

Graduation is in May, so there are still plenty of months before the seniors take their leave. The paws were painted, and now for everyone to see surrounding the student parking lot. Each paw has its own touch to it and it’s own personality, defined by the students who painted them.