International Club brought back to life with Día de los Muertos

Written by: Jeda French, Reporter

International Club is about enriching the lives of students by exploring diverse culture, worldly language, and delicious foods. It’s about learning and celebr

ating different languages and cultures. The club is new, as it was created this semester. They had their first meeting on Nov. 1, and plan to host many more in the future.

“Our events will showcase crafts, food, music and language learning. We are still formulating ideas and trying to incorporate a little bit of everything into each event. We hope to offer something different each time we meet, whether it be watching a foreign film, hearing from a guest speaker, learning a cultural dance, or anything else. We are just looking to have fun and gain insight into the amazing world around us,” said sponsor Kara Myers.

The club is trying to incorporate different timed meetings, in order to be able to include everyone.

“So far, the meetings have been during advisory, amongst the student leadership team [club officers]. They worked diligently to plan and execute ideas for the first official event that we had on Wednesday, Nov. 1 after school. Future meetings will be scheduled at varied times, depending on everyone’s schedules and preferences,” said Myers.

For their first event, the club celebrated Día de los Muertos [Day of the Dead].

“We celebrated Día de los Muertos with face-painting, food, paper flower making, sugar skull decorating and socializing with music and friends. It was quite a success. We had roughly thirty-five students attend the event. They seemed to enjoy it,” said Myers.

Although their first event was centered around a holiday, the club wants to incorporate more into their events.

“We will base a lot of our events around international holidays, but we will not limit ourselves to just holidays. We will likely have events that have a country or region as the central theme, without a specific holiday in mind,” said Myers. “I hope that our club helps showcase the exciting differences in our world’s cultures, and promotes the curiosity of language-learning and traveling abroad.”

International club is open to all students, regardless of whether or not they’ve taken a foreign language class before. If you’d like to join the club, please contact Myers and any student officers: Jeda French, Trinity Krouse, Delainey Wilson, or Lane Barrette.