NHS Hosts Peachfuzz Tournament, Raises Money for Kids In The Game

Written by: Tara Sitzmann, Reporter

It’s time for the boys to bump, set, and spike. On Thursday Nov. 16th, National Honors Society(NHS) hosted their first peach fuzz volleyball game. Vice president of NHS, Addison Gillam, chose this activity as her service project to reflect where the proceeds were going: to Kids In The Game.

I decided to pick kids in the game as our charity because Morgan Buchholz came up with the idea to donate to a charity that helped kids get involved in sports. Kids In The Game helps support a lot kids who would like to be active but can’t due to money situations or their school does not have a good program. I liked powderpuff so I tried to think of a way to do that but reversed. I hope we continue to do this every year and continue to donate the money to Kids In The Game,” Gillam said.

After a two year success from the girls’ powderpuff game, the NHS group is hoping for similar results.

“We hope for it to have been a fun way for people to give to a good cause. People paid two dollars to hang out and watch the game, but it’ll go to a good cause,” said NHS sponsor, Alex Verbenec.

Each class has a team (senior, junior, sophomore, freshman) with 8-13 players per team. Coaching, reffing, and line judging will be done by NHS girls who have previously participated in volleyball. Morgan Buchholz and Isabella Nusbaum are coaching seniors. Brianna Ward, Reilly O’Donnell and Gillam are coaching juniors. Sami Fisher, Riley Tinder and Sadie McWilliams are coaching sophomores. Lucy Lally, Taylor Theno and Brooke Wiles are coaching freshmen.

“It’s a bracket where the seniors will play the freshmen while the juniors play the sophomores in one match to 25 points.  Then the winners will play each other while the losers play each other in one match to 25 points.  The winners only get bragging rights because all proceeds are going to the charity Kids in the Game,” said Verbenec.

They have a goal collecting a couple hundred dollars for Kids In The Game. The game was played at the beginning of advisory. The Seniors won (25 – 17) in their match against Juniors and the Sophomores won against the Freshman (25 – 6).