Spring CNA Blood Drive

Written by: Trinity Krouse, Co-Editor in Chief

American Red Cross is hosting a blood drive alongside the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) students on April 27. In the big gym, anyone who is 16, with a parent’s permission, or older and at least 110 pounds can donate a pint of blood to be able to help save up to three lives with their donation.

CNA teacher Lynn Stallbaumer says the blood drive is the easiest way to help collect much need blood. Approximately every two seconds, someone in the United States requires a blood transfusion states American Red Cross; that requires blood to be donated constantly.  

“Blood is available to be shipped to hospitals 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The last step in the process is the actual use of your blood known as a transfusion,” said CNA Mateo Rosales. “These transfusions are used for many reasons such as ill or injured patients, surgeries, childbirth, anemia, blood disorders, cancer treatments, and so much more.”

At the beginning of the process, about three percent blood donors will faint when their blood is drawn reports the American Association for the Advancement of Science. If donors are well hydrated, and have eaten before the appointment, the chances of fainting decreases, said Stallbaumer. To help with the fear of fainting, a CNA is present at each blood donation.

“A blood buddy is someone that stays with the donor throughout the duration of the blood donation in order to divert their attention away from the donation by conversing,” said Rosales. “This often helps limit the anxiety of the donor and often makes them feel more welcomed while they donate.”

After the blood has been taken from the donor, it follows a long process of testing, and examination to ensure that it is safe to use for transfusions.

“A dozen of tests are performed to establish your blood type and test for diseases. These results are usually uploaded to the processing center within 24 hours. If anything abnormal is found then your blood donation is discarded and you will be notified. Now, note that this information is confidential and protected under HIP​​A​A [Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996]​. If your blood is not discarded, then it is distributed,” said Rosales.