GSA spreads awareness during Ally Week

Written by: Lane Barrette, Editor

Ally Week, Sept. 24 through Sept. 28, is a nationwide student-led effort encouraging all students to be allies of their non-straight peers. In light of this week, the Gay-Straight Alliance(GSA) will be running a booth in the lunchroom during all of Bobcat advisory on both Tuesday, Sept. 25, and Thursday, Sept. 27. At this booth, GSA members will be passing out rainbow safety pins, ally stickers and temporary tattoos.

The purpose of the safety pins is to let LGBTQIA+ students know that there are several allies in our building,” said GSA sponsor Tara Bowser. “Statistically, LGBTQIA+ students are bullied more often and feel more alone than other students. A small sign, such as the safety pins, lets them know there are people they can trust and count on to stand up for them in hurtful situations.

Along with passing out these safety pins, the GSA will be giving students the opportunity to openly display support by letting students sign a banner that will be hung up for the rest of the year.

An ally is an individual who speaks out and stands up for a person or group in the LGBTQ+ community that is targeted and discriminated against. An ally works to end oppression by supporting and advocating for people who are stigmatized, discriminated against or treated unfairly,” said Bowser.

Since the LGBTQIA+ community is the minority of students, straight peers are a major factor to if a student will feel accepted in school.

For any clarifications regarding BLHS GSA, talk to or email either Lane Barrette ([email protected]) or Mrs. Bowser ([email protected]).