4-H Week was Oct. 7-13

Written by: Kristen Kahler, Reporter

Oct. 7 through Oct. 13 is a week dedicated to 4-H, which is a youth organization that encourages development through interest.

Throughout the week, participants wore wearing shirts, made posters and informed others about the program. This week was dedicated to showing 4-H pride and to recruit others to join. Projects included everything from photography and clothing, to showing sheep and horses.

“4-H has just been a great experience so far. 4-H can teach a lot of important skills about friendship and money management. I believe that the skills 4-H teaches young kids will be the backbone of our society in the future,” freshman Jack Habjan said.

4-H meetings occur once a month where members learn about communication, leadership and how to run a business meeting. During meetings, upcoming events are voted on and discussed. Most often, members will listen to presentations from guest speakers as well.

“4-H has helped me to communicate and work harder at the things I plan to achieve,” freshman Sophie Leach said.

A big part of 4-H is community service. At most meetings, members do some type of service such as, making cards for veterans or donating food to Meals on Wheels. Hands on experiences is one of the teaching/learning techniques 4-H uses.

According to the Kansas Research and Extension website, in 4-H, kids roll up their sleeves and ‘do’ with their hands. Their experiences grow the confidence they need for life and career.

The four H’s stand for head, heart, hands and health. This encourages kids to be responsible, passionate, work hard and respect their bodies. Members are encouraged by the 4-H motto, ‘make the best better.”

The 4-H pledge says a lot about the goals of the program, ‘I pledge my head to clearer thinking, my heart to greater glory, my hands for larger service, and my health for better living for my club, my community, my country and my world’.