Human Anatomy and Physiology Class Dissects Brains

Written by: Trinity Krouse, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Monday, the Human Anatomy and Physiology class had their first and only dissection of the semester. They split into groups and cut sheep brains in half to examine them. They chose sheep brains because they are small and inexpensive.

“The purpose of dissecting the brains was to allow students to see how all the parts of the brain lined up,” said Human Anatomy and Physiology instructor Hailey Timmons. “Looking at diagrams is great, but the dissection helps create a better connection and understanding of the different structures.”

The students first watched Timmons demonstrate the dissection, and then, the students completed the dissection and a lab report with it on their own. The main goal was to see the different sections of the brain.

“I want the students to further understand how the brain works as a whole,” said Timmons. “The brain is a complicated structure that has many roles, so it is difficult to imagine and picture how it all fits together. I hope that the dissection allows students to make the connection about how the different areas work together but are also their own separate regions with their own responsibilities.”

The class has made different models representing body parts out of clay before, but this was the first dissection the class did.

“One thing I wasn’t expecting about the dissection was the smell. The brain smelled like chemicals and raw chicken that was left out for too long, but after 10 minutes, I got used to it,” said Cofer.