2019-2020 Enrollment: New Course Descriptions

Written by: Lane Barrette, Co-Editor

With the beginning of the second semester, enrollment for the 2019-2020 school year will begin. In comparison to past years, the enrollment cards contain different courses available to choose. Some departments will be changing the structure for both future juniors and seniors, such as the English Department. 

For next year’s juniors, each student will be required to take one semester of American Literature or Honors American Literature, followed by a semester of an English elective.

For next year’s seniors, each student will be required to take a full year of either Workplace communications or Honors World Literature*, but will not be required to take an additional English Elective.

Workplace Communications: This course is intended for those students interested in pursuing technical school, the military, or the workforce upon graduation. Learning focuses on technical reading and writing, teamwork skills, pre-employment skills, content vocabulary, and effective workplace communication. In order to prepare for their post-secondary success, students will also complete an electronic employment portfolio. Assignments and activities aim to be practical and applicable to various fields and careers. Students will read and discuss both nonfiction and fiction literature and write for a variety of audiences to improve written and verbal articulation.

Below is a description of new English electives:

Honors Diversity: This course examines diversity in cultural, linguistic, and historical contexts. Reading, writing, research, and individual projects focus on the study of general and fundamental issues concerning matters such as the development of a critical lens that embraces culturally sustainable practices for groups that have been traditionally underrepresented and inauthentically portrayed in texts. This course entails introspection as well as examinations of bias, power, and privilege. Several novels, short stories, and essays by a variety of authors will provide background for students’ further studies. Due to the extensive reading requirements, this course is recommended for above-average readers

Honors Shakespeare: This course examines the work of Shakespeare through primary and secondary texts and films, and in-class discussion and performances. Students will examine and exchange points of view as they develop their understanding of selected Shakespearean plays in the genres of romantic comedy and tragedy. Reading, writing, research, and individual projects focus on the criticism of the social, political, performative, and formal issues these texts represent and consider Shakespeare’s development and influence as a playwright. Due to the extensive reading requirements, this course is recommended for above average readers.

Philosophy in Literature: This course examines the characteristics that define philosophy and the human mind. Reading, writing, research, and individual projects focus on the study of general and fundamental issues concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, and language. Several novels, short stories, and essays by a variety of authors will provide background for students’ further studies. Due to the extensive reading requirements, this course is recommended for average and above average readers.

Sci-fi/Fantasy Literature: This course investigates the characteristics which distinguish science fiction and presents its development from the nineteenth century through the late twenty-first century. Reading, writing, research, and individual projects focus on the technological, social, philosophical, and historical developments which affect the condition of humanity and the future of the world. Several novels, short stories and essays by a variety of authors will provide background for students’ further studies. Due to the extensive reading requirements, this course is recommended for average and above-average readers.

Sports in Literature: Sports Literature will examine the unique relationship between sports and society through literature by contemporary authors, columnists and other media. Reading in the course is selected to be high-interest and thought-provoking. Text selections will include informational text, fiction, poetry, biographies, and commentary. Writing in this course will include argument, informative, and narrative pieces.

Film as Literature**:  Description to be updated

In regards to other departments, some courses will only be provided to specific classes. When filling out enrollment cards, only juniors will be able to mark both “Innovation Academy” and/or “Occupational Leadership.”

Innovation Academy: When filling out the enrollment card, at the bottom of the front page, there will be a spot mark innovation academy. This mark will not count as one of the 16 required marks. The specifics are being finalized of what this will look like in schedules.

Occupational Internship: The Executive Internship provides a semester of preparation for a 10-12 week workplace-based internship experience during the spring. The internship experience occurs in an area of career interest for the student and is combined with opportunities for evaluation and reflection.

Below is a description of the additional new courses:

Mass Production I: A comprehensive, technical level course designed to instruct students in the knowledge and skills required for fabricating products using a variety of materials (wood, plastic, metal, composites). This course would make use of new technology in the department (CNC, Vinyl sign cutter, laser engraver), and opens the possibility of creating and selling products out of the shop in the future. Students will learn skills that will transfer to engineering, machining, assembly lines and entrepreneurship.

Advanced Psychology***: This course is an introduction to the basic concepts, theories, and research findings in the evolving field of psychology. By learning to think psychologically, students gain insight into themselves and the dynamics of human thinking, behavior and emotions.

Cybersecurity: Cybersecurity introduces the tools and concepts of cybersecurity and encourages students to create solutions that allow people to share computing resources while protecting privacy. Nationally, computational resources are vulnerable and frequently attacked; in Cybersecurity, students solve problems by understanding and closing these vulnerabilities. This course raises students’ knowledge of and commitment to ethical computing behavior. It also aims to develop students’ skills as consumers, friends, citizens, and employees who can effectively contribute to communities with a dependable cyber-infrastructure that moves and processes information safely. PLTW is offering a beta version of the course starting in fall 2018 for the 2018-19 school year and is planning a full course release for the 2019-20 school year.

Honors Band: This course is designed for high achieving students concurrently enrolled in the Concert/Marching Band class. The students must complete the entire enriched curriculum based on grade level. Students who are approved to take the course for honors credit will enroll in the currently offered class and are expected to adhere to the class syllabus (Band Handbook) for the non-honors credit option. Students may enroll in “Honors Band” at any grade, and students are not required to continue to the next honors level to continue participation in band.

The courses stated above were newly added to enrollment cards; however, there were courses offered last year that did not have enough students enrolled and never became a class. Below are a list of these classes:

Introduction to Musical Theater: Students will examine the ins and outs of musical theater starting with the audition process and ending with a polished production. Students will participate in the current school musical and will be required to attend after-school rehearsals in addition to class time. This will be part of their grade. In the spring semester, students will analyze live performances and create smaller productions that may be used for assemblies at the elementary level.

-This list will be updated by the end of the day

Some courses will have name changes, as listed below (new name followed by the original name):

“Treble Choir”; originally “Women’s Chorus”

“Tenor/Bass Choir”; originally “Men’s Chorus”

“Civic Leadership” and “Service Leadership (STUCO)”; originally “Leadership”

“Horticulture A & B; originally “Horticulture”

If any freshmen or juniors have questions regarding enrollment, please see Mrs. Billet. If any sophomores have any questions regarding enrollment, please see Mrs. Herbster.

*This course can include dual credit for KCKCC Comp I & II

**This course will not count as a fulfilled credit for juniors taking only American Literature or Honors American Literature. In order to receive the full English Credit for junior year, the student must be enrolled in the above five courses.

***This course can include dual credit for KCKCC Psychology