March Madness Bounces Into The Den

Written by: Britan, Reporter

Every year, sports fans make a game out of predicting the outcome of the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament—or, as it’s more commonly known, March Madness. This year, The Den has made the challenge apart of their business. From March 18-March 20, students were able to buy a bracket from The Den for $1 and fill it out with their team predictions. The closest bracket will receive a $20 gift card to The Den.

“One of us was filling out a bracket in class, and that kind of just turned into ‘Hey, why don’t we make this a thing for The Den?’,” said sophomore Gavin Day.

On March 25, The Den released the names of the top ten brackets at the time. Junior A.J. Cooper’s bracket is currently in first place.

“I’ve been filling out brackets for five years,” said Cooper. “I just went by whoever I thought was gonna do the best after watching them.”

Turning a seasonal past-time for students into something they can potentially be rewarded for, has increased student interest in The Den, which is one of the major goals for the Applied Business Development class in charge of it.

“I think [we’ve increased interest] because we’ve had a lot more people than usual stop by to fill out a bracket,” said Day.

March Madness ends on April 8. All proceeds from The Den’s bracket challenge will be donated to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Kansas City.