GSA’s Day of Silence

GSA’s Day of Silence

Written by: Katelyn Cofer, Reporter

On Friday, April 12, the students of the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) will be participating in an event known as the Day of Silence, for the first time in BLHS history.

The members of the LGBT+ community and supporters go a day without speaking as a way to symbolize how they cannot always freely talk about who they are and how they are silenced and ignored as people in communities. Students participating will be wearing a sticker, which will be provided by the GSA during lunch on April 9 and 11.

“It’s an outreach to people who haven’t had to silence themselves,” said President of the GSA, Lane Barrette. “The goal is to not only show awareness but to open people’s eyes to what it has been like for people who have had to hide their identity.”

According to the official Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) website, the event began in 1996 at the University of Virginia when students were doing a project on non-violent protests. One group chose to host a protest for the LGBT+ community, where there were around 150 participants. The next year, the same group decided to spread the event nationally, where over 100 colleges and universities participated. In 2001, the (GLSEN) took over as the organizational sponsor.

“The purpose is to help people internalize the feeling of having to be silenced and make them be more aware of how they communicate with others,” said Barrette. “It’s just another way to normalize differences in sexual orientation at the high school.”