National Honors Society Hosts Dress Drive

Written by: Lane Barrette, Editor-in-Chief

For the last two weeks of September, National Honors Society (NHS) vice president Makenzy Curtis has been accepting donated dresses for her service project. Dresses donated will be available for try-on Oct. 4 from 2:45 p.m. to 5 p.m. and Oct. 5 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Students can take home the dress they try-on free of charge.

“Homecoming dresses are expensive. No one should avoid attending Homecoming or Courtwarming or Prom just because they can’t afford a dress. It just isn’t fair to those girls,” said Curtis.

Curtis has been working on this project for a month. Over 25 dresses have been donated so far. One of the donors was junior Jaedyn Roberts who donated eight dresses.

“I donated because we had an excess. No one in my house was ever going to be wearing these dresses and I felt that someone else would. There was no reason for me to prevent someone else from getting to wear a dress to Homecoming,” said Roberts.

Nine students have donated dresses, which far exceeded Curtis’s expectations.

“My expectations for the drive are optimistic. I pray that there are many girls in the community that benefit from this. I am also hoping to see lots of girls at Homecoming wearing their dresses,” said Curtis.

For NHS students wanting to help students try-on dresses, Mrs. Verbenec sent out a Sign-Up Genius.