Homecoming Court Participated in Day of Civic Engagement

Written by: Lane Barrette, Reporter

For the first time, the Homecoming Court participated in a day of civic engagement at the elementary schools on Oct. 10. The candidates started the day off with a breakfast provided by the Family, Consumer and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA). The candidates went to Glenwood Ridge Elementary (GRE), Basehor Intermediate School (BIS) and Basehor Elementary School (BES) to help with Apex Races, read to classes, play during recess and eat lunch with the elementary school students. 

“We got the idea from another school and I thought it was a good way to give the elementary school kids some exposure so they could recognize the Homecoming court on the field,” said Student Council sponsor Erin Horn.

Horn had not thought of the idea before this year, but felt that the community desperately needed to be able to put faces to names.

“I hope that it gave a better sense of community by making Homecoming a community effort that extends to the Basehor and Linwood communities. Homecoming should be an experienced for everyone, not just the high school,” said Horn.

Senior AJ Cooper won Homecoming king and senior Maya Dodds won Homecoming queen. The other candidates were seniors Mason Capper, AJ Cooper, Caden Foster, Brock Hofer, Kade Imhoff and Chase Torkelson. The female candidates were seniors Maya Dodds, Sydney Gall, Miyala Harris, Jaiden Smith, Brooke Wiles and Delainey Wilson. 

“The kids were definitely excited to spend time with the older kids. Now, they experienced something that connects them to the high school,” said Gall.

Specifically for Gall, the experience heightened her enjoyment of being a part of the Homecoming Court.

“I was really excited about being voted for Homecoming Court, because we got to do so much more than the Homecoming court normally does. It was a little addition that made my senior year so much fun,” said Gall.