FCCLA Goes To The Ronald McDonald House

Written by: Emily Long, Reporter

Basehor Linwood’s Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) is going to the Ronald McDonald House (RMCH) in Kansas City to host a “Trunk or Treat” for families with children living at the RMCH on October 27. 

FCCLA is a national student organization that helps young men and women become leaders and address important personal, family, work and societal issues through Family and Consumer Sciences Education determined by the state Department of Education. 

The organization has involved more than 10 million people since its founding in 1945. FCCLA has over 175,000 members and more than 5,300 chapters from all 50 state associations, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. 

“I like it because it gives me opportunities to do community service events and help other people in need throughout our community. I also like it because it gives me leadership opportunities. It is also a lot of fun,” said club member Faith Lowe.

FCCLA does many service projects in the school and around the community. This weekend, FCCLA is traveling to the Ronald McDonald House in Kansas City to host a “Trunk or Treat” for families currently living at the home.

“Trunk or Treat offers a safe place for siblings of children going through difficult health situations to celebrate Halloween and enjoy the costumes and community,” said club sponsor Megan Marquardt 

This is the second year that FCCLA has gone to the Ronald McDonald House. 

“The Ronald McDonald house charities is an amazing organization. The help and support this organization offers to families in times of need is invaluable. Being a small part of that is so rewarding,” Marquardt also adds. 

FCCLA also does numerous projects over the course of the year. They compete with their presentations against multiple other schools with different topics ranging from climate change to domestic violence. They also do different service projects throughout the school like senior week and are involved in numerous other charities.