Bobcat moves to “No-Phone Fridays”

Written by: Riley Wilson, Reporter

Principal Jarred Fuhrman is considering installing a new phone policy that will encourage students to disconnect and meet new people. This policy would have zones around the school, for example, the lunch room, where students would not be allowed on their phones. The hope is that students will be able to have a place to talk to people face to face. Although they were going to begin a No-Phone Friday on Nov. 22, the school decided they wanted to get all the details together first.  

It’s probably going to start after Thanksgiving break because I want to make sure that we determine where it’s going to be first. We are going to do it on Fridays or on Wednesdays, I haven’t quite decided that yet,” said Fuhrman. 

Fuhrman and the Student Advisory Council agree that this policy would be beneficial to students. It would not only all them to make connections, but they could take a break from their phones, if only for a little while.

“I thought it was a really cool idea. Our school is really stuck in technology and computers are used in every single classroom. So, just taking a break from that and making new friends would be a good idea,” said senior Clarissa Kiefer. 

Fuhrman is thinking of different ways to implement this policy within the school. He hopes it isn’t seen as a punishment, but as more of a way to interact with one another and take a break from technology. 

“There was a really cool article that I found. I’ve had two or three teachers send it to me. I think would be kind of neat. The one school that did it, they had cards at different tables and when you came in the door you picked a card color and that’s the table that you sat at. So, you sit with maybe different people that you don’t know and you can’t use your cell phone,” said Fuhrman.

A worry of Fuhrman and the Advisory Council is that students will not give the policy a second thought. When students hear the words “no phone”, they will already be prejudiced against the idea. 

“Whether students enjoy it or not, I think this will help them with social skills in the future,” said sophomore Rylee Jones.

There are even thoughts of removing phones from the classroom as a whole. In some classes this year, there are designated places where students put their phones when class starts.

“In lunch or advisory you could use your cell phone, but I don’t think that cell phones really serve a purpose in class time and everybody has computers,” said Fuhrman.

Although the plan is not set in stone, the goal of this policy is to have students take a break from technology and communicate with each other face to face.