Donation Box Supporting Lucky 13 Rescue

Donation Box Supporting Lucky 13 Rescue

Written by: Gracie Hermreck, Reporter

This winter, a donation box supporting Lucky 13 Rescue has been set up in the CTE work room, offering students a way to donate supplies to help foster lost or unwanted pets. The box was set up by para educator Kristal Simpson, who has worked with neglected dogs before, and feels that the donation box will spark support within the students and faculty. 

“There are neglected animals everywhere, including Basehor, and this gives students the chance to help an important cause they are exposed to every day,” said Simpson.

The donation box is through Lucky 13 Rescue, which is a federal organization based out of Kansas City, Missouri, devoted to the aid and rescue of neglected and homeless animals in the city and neighboring rural areas, including Basehor and Bonner Springs.

The organization is hosting a supply drive, as a way to collect the tools needed to host or foster a dog, including toys, food, and grooming supplies. Along with supplying families of foster dogs with these tools, Lucky 13 Rescue also works to rehabilitate these pets through veterinary care, love, and compassion. As they work to rehabilitate these animals, they also work to carefully match these animals to the perfect families who will best support these animals.

Once the perfect family is found, Lucky 13 Rescue uses the money and support given through such donation boxes to make sure animals are spayed/neutered, fully vaccinated, microchipped and heartworm-negative before they are placed into their forever homes. 

“Dogs, like humans have personalities, and know when they are not wanted. Companies like Lucky 13 Rescue offer dogs a way to feel much needed love and compassion,” said Luke Cooper, a sophomore and active member of the Lawrence Humane Society

If a student is interested in possibly becoming a foster or adoptive parent for a dog, they may reach out to Kristal Simpson, or visit the workroom, where information over dogs up for adoption in Basehor will be posted.

All in all, the donation box allows students a way to join in on an important cause. Lucky 13 Rescue hopes that students donations can help them with their goal of providing a safe home for as many dogs as possible. For more information visit https://lucky13rescue.org, or reach out to Kristal Simpson.