Student Council Raises Money Through Fundraiser

Written by: Rylee Jones, Reporter

The Student Council was able to make an impact not only in the district but in the community. To kick off the first project of the school year, the group did a fundraiser for breast cancer awareness. Student Council members junior Gracie Hermreck and junior Taylor High assisted with the fundraiser for the Susan G. Komen Foundation with the help of Student Council  sponsor and Spanish teacher, Jessica Morehead.

They are at the forefront of research, community health, global outreach and public policies in order to make the biggest impact on the disease,” said Morehead.

The foundation has been raising money for breast cancer and research since 1982. It is the most funded organization for the disease.

“I think we chose this because we wanted a fundraiser that would be fitting for breast cancer awareness month,” said Hermreck. 

The fundraiser was held during the last week of October, breast cancer awareness month. Due to current restrictions, student council has had to reform what they do, and this fundraiser was the start. During a typical year, the group plans games at pep rallies as well as the dances. 

“This fundraiser was a good way to show the school other ways we are bettering the community. Since we cannot  plan school dances or pep rallies like we used to. I don’t think we got to our goal, but it is still more than stucco has done in the past,” said High.     

Student council has more members this year compared to past years, as well as a new teacher sponsor. Together they came up with ideas to get the students involved even with the hybrid model.

“It was pretty accessible to students because there was an email about it and we had collection jars at the front office window and on the table as you enter the building,” said Hermreck.

Student council is starting never done before projects. The group is planning on working on more spirit weeks and fundraisers in the future.