Virtual Learning Transition

Written by: Emily Long, Assistant Editor

On Nov. 23, the Basehor-Linwood Board of Education held a meeting to discuss how the district was going to proceed with the rising cases of COVID-19. The school district decided to follow the Leavenworth County Health Department gating criteria and go all virtual for at least the next two weeks. 

This has been an ongoing conversation with the school board since the summer. There is a board meeting once a month and then they have called special meetings as well,” said vice principal Jared Jackson. 

The decision to go remote was based on the fall plan that the School Board passed in August. The gating criteria included being fully remote if the positivity rate was above 15 percent for two consecutive  weeks. Leavenworth County has surpassed that limit, with the positivity rate being 15.89 percent. 

This year students have had to learn to be flexible with the inconsistency that the school year has to offer. From being in the classroom only part time to now being at home isn’t easy for students. 

“It’s really difficult to have to go back to all online. I miss seeing my friends. Personally, I am more productive when I am online, but I know that it’s not always the same case for other students,” said junior Maya Pebley. 

Administration is constantly adapting in order to keep up with guidelines. 

I still believe that in-person learning is still the best option for most students.  It allows for deeper relationships that assist in the learning process.  Nothing can replace hands-on learning with a knowledgeable teacher by your side helping you through the process.  With that said, I do believe we have seen some benefits of remote learning though and I think we will continue to use some of the techniques of remote learning that are most effective,” said Jackson. 

The Basehor Linwood Board of Education stands firm with their decision on keeping students remote until our county’s numbers go down.  

“It is the most unique time to be in all parts of education.  The hardest part is not seeing all kids everyday which makes it harder to build consistent relationships.  The amount of discipline issues is at an all-time low with fewer kids but that time is being used to help address issues with this new learning environment.  Overall our kids have responded extremely well and we are proud of the work they have put in to be successful,” said Jackson. 

The District hopes that having students go remote will bring numbers down enough to where school can safely reopen. On Monday, Dec. 7, if numbers still continue to be in the ‘red’ zone, school will remain online through the remainder of the semester.