Winter Sports Behind Closed Doors

Written by: Lake Harrington, Reporter

Winter sports have officially kicked off, but without fans. Unlike fall sports, only parents are allowed to attend winter sporting events. Kansas State High School Activities Association (KSHAA) has put this into effect until Jan 28, 2021. The original plan of no fans was reversed in a 54-21 vote.

Sophomore Brant Wilson says he will be missing the fans especially this season. 

“Nobody likes to play in a quiet place, and the fans create energy for our team,” said Wilson.

Wilson feels that this decision is upsetting, but he understands that times are different. 

“We can still have success this year without fans,” said Wilson

Besides the small number of parents/guardians, the cheerleaders will be the only type of atmosphere that the basketball team will get. Sophomore Emma Penegar and the rest of the cheerleaders are trying to make the best of the situation.

“We are still trying to cheer on our team even if we have to wear masks and can’t stunt,” said Penegar. 

The team misses the fans’ help with making the gym as loud as possible.

“It doesn’t feel like a game without fans,” Penegar said.

This years’ seniors understand the current situations. Both players and fans still wish they could have fans for one last season. Senior Ryan Auten considers himself fortunate to have a season at this point. 

“Growing up watching teams play with packed stands is what I’ve looked forward to my entire basketball career,” said Auten.

Some Parents including Stephanie Saueresig still feel upset about KSHAA’s decision. 

“I would’ve liked to let the students come and see their friends play,” said Saueressig 

They still are happy they get to watch their children participate regardless of the restrictions.