Recycling Comes Back to BLHS

Written by: Rylee Jones , Reporter

Recycling has a multitude of impacts including reducing landfills, creating jobs, saving energy and reducing pollution. Despite these impacts, the school district decided in 2019 to cut recycling out of the district budget. These impacts are just some of the reasons why junior Elizabeth Cook presented the idea earlier this month of bringing back recycling to the school. 

“At this point I feel that having a recycling program should be the bare minimum. It doesn’t make sense to not have a recycling program. I also feel that it is important for kids and teens to learn how to recycle at a young age and carry those values with them for the rest of their lives,” Cook said.

The idea to bring recycling to the school was presented to the school board in early January. Cook had been working on her presentation for about a year.

“I was pretty confident in my idea. I had a lot of help from students and staff. I was able to show the Board that this plan was important not only to myself, but students and staff as well,” said Cook.

“I am happy about it. I felt that it needed to be done. We have the resources, time and money, so why not make the world a bit cleaner. I think that as a school with hundreds of students, we create so much trash each day, especially since we do not currently have recycling bins. I wanted to find  a way to cut back on unnecessary trash being thrown away rather than recycled,” said Cook.

From 2009 to 2019, the district was paid by Defenbaugh as an incentive to recycle. Defenbaugh was then bough out by Waste Management, which charged the school monthly to pick up recycling. This was what led the the disbandment of the recycling program.

“I did a lot of research into specific costs so that the board would know what they would be committed to spending by putting the plan in place.”

With the idea to “recycle” Cooks plan, the school may have a chance to impact the environment.