Girl Code: Third Edition

Girl Code: Third Edition

Friendzone, the friend zone, friend-zone.. however it’s phrased, it’s real and it’s coming for you.

Friendzone can be defined through a multitude of ways; however, all of the definitions are relatively the same.

From Urban Dictionary, “This is the worst position someone can be in if they have feelings for another person. When a person develops romantic feelings for someone, but the other person only sees the relationship as just being friends. Because the two are around each other a lot, the one in love will harbor his/her feelings for the others only to become completely consumed by this person.”

From AskMen.com, “What is quite possibly one of the worst places a guy could ever be in if you like someone. It doesn’t matter the situation, once you’re in, you feel like you’re in a cage. It consists of a multitude of possible emotions that you will succumb to. Mostly jealousy, defeat, hopelessness and a strange sense of knowing that your aspirations are an impossibility. You’ll constantly know that the person you like will not like you in the same way. But for some reason, you’re still friends with her. You feel like you can get her back, but it’s not gonna happen. And it’s worse when they tell you about their significant other/crush/boyfriend. You might see them walk further away from you every day. You become a cushion, having to watch them with the person they THINK is perfect for them. But deep down, you know it’s not true. But they think they are, and you have to acknowledge it as a reality. It’s hell on earth, guys.”

Basically, you want to be more than friends with someone who only sees you as just that… a friend.

Most of the time, it’s girls putting guys in the friendzone. Although, there are girls who find themselves crushin’ on their guy bff.

There are lots of complications when it comes to the friendzone.

For example, oftentimes what holds one back from revealing their feelings is worry for the friendship. Girls and guys don’t want to ruin their friendship by making things “messy.” So, they keep quiet.

Another issue that arrises with the friendzone is that it’s slightly selfish for one to complain about it.

You mean to say, you’re mad because the person you’re “in love,” with doesn’t love you back?

You can’t be upset with the person just because the feelings aren’t mutual.

However, there are a few ways to escape the friendzone.

Trust me, it’s been done before.

Disclaimer: There is a chance you’ll lose them altogether if things don’t go as planned. If their already a big part of your life, you may want to reconsider.

1. Be discreet, but step up the flirting.

2. Get help from your friends. Urge them to encourage your attractive traits.

3. Break the touch barrier. Keep in mind: this is a school newspaper, we’re keeping it PG-13. However, the key is to touch consciously so it promotes positive thoughts in the other person.

4. Stop being needy. Don’t come off as desperate.

5. Don’t wait too long to show how you feel. Sometimes being blunt is good.

Also, remember that you’re getting caught up with someone who doesn’t necessarily have feelings for you. Make it clear that you’re available, but open yourself up to other options.

Good luck, and keep in mind that the best relationships start as friendships.

Girl code.

(If you’re a guy reading this, don’t worry. This article applies to both sexes.)