When I Realized… That My Schedule Would Never Be Exciting

You walk through the doors and you pick up your enrollment packet. You flip through the booklet and find such wonders as the Jazz Ensemble or Engineering and feel as if the world is at your fingertips and anything is possible and can be learned. But you fill out your classes, especially as an honor student, and you have a lot less freedom than when your guidance counselor told you you would.

Your core classes will automatically take up 8 blocks of your schedule and then if you’re in a sport, strength & conditioning takes up another block, but first you have to take P.E. Also Health A is required to graduate too. So now you have five classes left. But you are going for the state scholar cirriculum, which means that Spanish takes up two more blocks. You have three blocks left which means there will be a day where all your blocks are required. Then if you are in a music class, then that takes up two more blocks. You have one class left, will you take one of Knowles’ theater/drama classes? A carpentry class? Join the noble student publications team, taught by the fearless Mrs. Loney? The piece of advice I can give is to make sure that you enjoy your last class and really make a good decision with what you want to do with it.

But I didn’t realize my schedule was a (mostly) painful loop until I enrolled for sophomore year. My schedule looked almost identical to the one from last year, and it wasn’t because I enjoyed my classes as much as the counselors said I would. I’ll be weighed down with the same type of classes until my senior year.

Counselors and admissions officers say they want you to be well-rounded, but think about it, if your schedule is the same every single year, then you will never be able to branch out and learn a new field. You will never be as well-rounded as you could be if you had been able to take economics and psychology in high school. If students knew what they were getting into, then maybe they would know what majors they wanted once they were in college.

Kansas Public Radio recently ran a story about indecision among college students and how 47 percent of students don’t graduate within six years. That could be combated if students were more prepared for possible majors. As a result of that, students would save money by graduating on time, and America would have a more efficient education system, where we could pride ourselves in the number of graduates we put into the workforce.

Having a system which emphasizes repetition will never lead to earth-shattering events, but if something is fit to that person’s dreams, ambitions, and interest then people will be happier, more prepared, and less miserable, while solving two national issues, all because of a more efficient high school scheduling system.