When You Should Start Listening to Christmas Music

Written by: Delainey Wilson, Reporter

Every year, there is a debate about what the proper time to listen to Christmas music is, some believing that it is acceptable to start after Halloween is over.The most appropriate time to start listening to Christmas songs is the day after Thanksgiving.

According to clinical psychologist, Linda Blair, listening to Christmas music too early can affect mental health by triggering feelings of stress. This is because when people hear a Christmas song, it can cause them to think about all the things that they need to do before the holidays. If listening to Christmas music were to be postponed until at least the day after Thanksgiving, mental health would be improved and less stress would be felt.

Many people have the same opinion that Christmas music and Christmas celebration in general should come after Thanksgiving. Target’s chief marketing officer Rick Gomez has said, “They want us to pause, and be really intentional and recognize Thanksgiving. What they don’t want us to do is go right into Christmas. So, we are going to respect that.”

A poll was taken by the buzzfeed.com staff, asking their readers to vote on when they think people should listen to Christmas music. 6 percent said anytime, 7 percent said never, 10 percent said a week before thanksgiving, 15 percent said the day after Halloween, 22 percent said Dec. 1 and with the majority, the day after Thanksgiving received 40 percent of the votes. This shows that most people already choose the day after Thanksgiving to start celebrating Christmas, but more should join in.

By waiting just until Thanksgiving is over to start listening to Christmas songs, people can help to reduce not only their own stress, but also that of others. This is extremely important to remember now that Thanksgiving has passed, and the holiday season is quickly approaching.