How to best help the planet this Earth Day

Written by: Trinity Krouse, Co-Editor in Chief

In school, students are taught that the leading cause of carbon dioxide emissions come from cars, factories, and people, yet that is not true. The livestock industry creates more CO2  than any other industry or entity. For a few ways to help the planet this earthday, people could use less water, recycle, and reuse materials, but the best way to cut down on CO2 emissions is by going vegetarian.

According the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), 18% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions come from Animal Agriculture. If that wasn’t devastating enough, livestock use about 30 percent of all the land on Earth. This results in deforestation, and 70% of forests in the Amazon have been converted into farmland for animals, reports the FAO. Eating meat supports the destruction of the world’s largest rainforest.  

Avoiding meat can also result in the reduction of water use. Global Issues states that to grow enough food for the livestock, it requires half of the water that is consumed yearly in the United States. Without the mass number of cattle farms, there would be enough food to feed everyone in the world. Global Issues estimates that livestock consume at least 70% of the grain that is grown in the United States.

Seeing the effects of the livestock industry should raise some red flags.  The way to fix these problems is to stop supporting them, and stop consuming meat. People need to bring these topics up and ask questions about where their food is coming from. This is one of those times where if enough people join the cause, then there will be a change. Earth day is the perfect time to give vegetarianism a try and support a healthier, cleaner Earth.