High Schoolers Should Be Talking More About Politics

Written by: Lane Barrette, Editor

With the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh into the Supreme Court, the United States appears just as politically divided as they were during the 2016 Presidential Election. Regardless of how one sways politically on this matter and others similar scenarios, it is very important that everyone has an educated opinion. In the next few years, all of Generation Z will be able to vote.

Politics is considered a very taboo topic to discuss in school. This proves to be very problematic in the future. High school students are exposed to a variety of differing viewpoints and cultures. Whenever differing viewpoints on political issues are tossed aside and not talked about, students begin to discredit political dialogue as something negative. In actuality, students are in school to learn. By dialoguing with others who have opposing viewpoints, students will be more educated and will make more objective decisions when understanding what others believe.

By establishing one’s core beliefs and understanding others, conversations about politics will become constructive and significantly less combative. Outside of school, politics become more interactive, and laws become more impactful on past students’ lives. Having politically charged opinions not only allows for dialogue to occur but allows future voters to understand who they’d elect into the government, rather than simply voting the same as their parents.

As seen in the 2016 election, a large percentage of the United States population did not vote, which in turn, put a president that was not popular with a majority of the American people, into office. This election proved that voting does, in fact, matter. Voting is the one way in which an American citizen can voice their opinion by electing the candidate that upholds mutual values. If real change is going to happen, Generation Z, as well as every generation preceding it, must vote and understand what exactly they are voting for.

Understanding the importance of political dialogue and voting is vital for making the future change. Education of every viewpoint is necessary to better the future of the United States.

Anyone not already registered to vote in the upcoming election, but is 18 years old, can become a registered voter by clicking on the following link: https://www.dmv.org/ks-kansas/voter-registration.php