Contraceptives should be provided in High Schools

Written by: Brooklyn Fondaw, Reporter

At least 80 percent of teen pregnancies are unplanned, and three-fourths of these pregnancies occur to adolescent women who do not use contraceptives. Just in the United States, about one-fourth of all new STD infections occur among youth ages 15 to 19.

Contraceptives should be offered in high schools to help prevent STDs and teen pregnancy. The purpose would not be to promote sexual intercourse between high school students, but to provide support for adolescents and to avoid STDs and teen pregnancy. Students who are offered contraceptives at school report neither more sexual activity nor frequency of sexual intercourse compared to students in schools without health centers according to Advocates For Youth. According to the Carnegie Council on Adolescent Development, by age 16, 29 percent of teenage males and 17 percent of teenage females have had sexual intercourse. Because a portion of teens are already having unsafe sex, why not protect them?

It’s no surprise, teenagers who practice unsafe sex are at risk of getting pregnant and or STDs. Adolescents think that the withdrawal method will keep them from getting pregnant and or infected by STDs. Of course, this myth is extremely false, yet teenagers still believe what they hear from the media. If high schools connect with local health centers, they could inform students of the consequences of having unsafe sex.

Providing more education and contraceptives in high schools will not increase sexual activity nor frequency of it, this would only benefit students by informing them and giving them the necessary tools to make educated and safe decisions. The smallest change could impact a student’s life entirely.