Joining a Sport Senior Year

Joining a Sport Senior Year

Written by: Trinity Krouse, Co-Editor-in-Chief

For some students, they play in the same sports all four years of high school and the sport becomes their life. However, for other students, they are not naturally athletic or didn’t participate in a sport freshman year. In this case, some students might decide they want to do a sport, but are scared to put themselves out there, or they think it is too late to join a sport. Students should join a sport no matter what grade they are in–even if it is their senior year.

Dee Gordon is a center fielder in Major League Baseball (MLB) who plays for the Seattle Mariners. He only started to play baseball his senior year of high school, but has been able to put in the time and effort to make it into the big leagues. According to ESPN, he has been playing professional baseball for eight years, and his career all started when he decided to go out for baseball his senior year.

Joining a sport can be for personal health, social skills or even just gaining experience in athletic ability. Sports are a great way to stay in shape and get the recommended amount of daily exercise.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the 2008 US Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans states that teenagers need at least one hour of physical activity every day.

Not only will joining a sport help students’ health, students can meet new people and create bonds within the sports. This is a great way to meet people who have something in common. Becoming a student-athlete your senior year can be a great way to connect with your school and classmates one last time before graduation.