The Only Solution to Senioritis is Changing Oneself

Written by: Britain Dietsch, Reporter

With every new school year comes a new class of seniors, considered by many to be the leaders of the school simply due to their experience and how close they are to the end. Yet, every school year, as students enter their second semester, the same problem begins to occur—attendance, grades and overall attitude towards school begin to sink in the senior class. This phenomenon doesn’t just exist in Basehor. It’s popular enough to have a disease-like title: ‘senioritis.’ While many seniors either struggle with or choose to accept their senioritis, there is a clear treatment that can be achieved simply through a few changes in their behavior.

In order to understand how to prevent senioritis, it is also important to understand why senioritis occurs. A study from the College of Saint Elizabeth showed that the majority of freshmen disagreed or strongly disagreed that their performance would slip in the second semester of their senior year. That number began to decline for students in their junior year and was split in half by the first semester of senior year. The well-known intense workload of junior year has an impact on students—when they’re about to reach the end, there’s nothing they want more than to take a long break to make up for all the work they’d put in the year before.

A healthy balance can be achieved between having a fun senior year and a productive one. Counselors at New York University advise students to maintain a challenging course load, engage in positive activities in their community, dedicate time to an internship or part-time job, keep a calendar of deadlines,  and avoid obsessing over what colleges they’ll be admitted to.

No one’s senior year should be without some fun and leisure time. At the same time, falling into the traps of senioritis can have negative impacts on future work ethic. Seniors who are able to maintain the balance between work and play will not only get more out of their senior year, but they’ll be more prepared for their future endeavors in college and/or the workforce.