15/15 Rule Inconveniences Students

15/15 Rule Inconveniences Students

Written by: Trinity Krouse, Co-Editor-in-Chief

At the beginning of the 2017-18 school year, a new rule called the 15/15 rule was put into place, where students are not allowed to leave during the first or last 15 minutes of class. The rule was meant to help students, but in reality, it places unnecessary stress on the students and teachers.

According to Principal Jarred Fuhrman, the rule was meant to differentiate students who were tardy, from students who were just roaming the halls during the first and last 15 minutes of class. While this is helpful to notice kids who are where they shouldn’t be, it makes it harder for kids who need to travel somewhere during this time.

Keeping students in the class during the very end and beginning of class is ineffective, and is sometimes the only free time students have in class. According to senior Alex Trowbridge, the end of class is the only time she gets to leave class because the rest is filled with notes. If she has to go to the bathroom during class, she either has to miss the lecture, or she has to leave during the last 15 minutes.

The rules are also laxly enforced, and inconsistent between teachers. Keeping that in mind, if a student leaves during the first or last 15 minutes, it is impossible to catch every student out in the halls at that time, and this creates a question in the student’s mind of if they are allowed to leave or not.

The real solution is to end the 15/15 rule and trust in the students that they can get to class on time and use hall passes responsibly.