Students Should be Involved

Students Should be Involved

Written by: Jaedin Turner, Reporter

There are 24 hours in a day and with this time, students go to school then home to sleep, and in between they spend their time participating in extracurricular activities. These are activities that fall outside the scope of the regular curriculum. All students should be involved in one or more extracurricular activity, because they help with college admissions and help students gain valuable life-long skills.

When looking through applications, colleges look for many things, one of which is the activities the applicant participated in through high school. According to Crimson Education, 30 percent of the application is accounted for by extracurricular activities. Without participating in these, applications will not measure up to those of their peers. Even if a student is not looking to go to college after high school, extracurricular activities teach real-world skills.

There are many skills to be gained from these types of activities outside the typical school day. As stated on The Educator, many skills such as time management, better organizational skills and higher self-esteem are a result of extracurricular activities. Altogether, these skills will make a student more well-rounded and more prepared for college and beyond. Although, many students are all for extracurricular activities, some students are still hesitant. 

Some parents say that these types of activities and involvement can cause their children’s grades to drop or for their child to be too stressed out. A simple solution to that is finding a good balance and always putting work first. LiveStrong says that 6 to 9 hours a week is more than enough extracurricular activities for students. That is only an hour to an hour and a half every school day, a manageable number for all students.

Extracurricular activities have many positive effects on students such as assisting them get into colleges and providing life-long skills. The benefits of participating in these activities outside of school are worth the commitment and prepare students for life after high school.