Excessive Homework Is Ineffective

Written by: Riley Wilson, Reporter

Homework is proven to be more harmful than beneficial to students. The more homework students receive, the less they want to engage. Homework can also negatively impact students’ health, grades and social life. 

When the hours a student spends at school and doing homework get to be too many, it causes the student to become overwhelmed and less motivated. The anxiety of too much homework and no time for anything important, like spending time with friends and family, working a job or playing a sport, can greatly impact a student’s mental and physical health, according to a study done at Stanford University.. An excess of homework can result in lack of sleep, headaches or significant changes in weight. Homework can also result in a student’s grades to start slipping, according to procon.org.

After eight hours a day for five days a week of going to school, highschoolers can become burnt out if they have too much homework. This would make a 40 hour week, which is considered full time for adults. This means that students are expected to work ‘overtime ’when it comes to homework. When this happens, they either stop doing their homework, find the answers by cheating online or stay up late and lose a lot of sleep to finish it. This can lead to slipping grades and decreasing desire to learn. Not only this, but students have a life outside of school and deserve time to participate in their outside of school activities.

Many highschoolers are involved in extracurricular activities, may it be a sport, a club or a job. These activities and social time give students the opportunity to refresh their minds. When students are given too much homework it takes time away from these activities. In addition, homework can also lead to students feeling isolated without a support system. Kids should be able to be kids and have fun every once in a while. Students also need to develop social skills outside of school. Without time to socialize and relax, students can become stressed, thus affecting life not only at school, but at home, too.

According to a study done at Stanford University, 70 percent of students said that they were ‘often or always stressed over homework’, with 56 percent listing homework as a primary source of stress. This study challenges the universal assumption that homework is inherently good.

Not only does homework lead to stress and anxiety, but it also can result in grades slipping and alienation of oneself. Highschoolers need to be learning in school, but they should be allowed to do things they love or need to do that are unrelated to the classroom. Although homework can be helpful in the ways of study guides or reviews, too much can be more harmful for students than beneficial.