Is College education Worth It?

Written by: Riley Wilson, Reporter

Most people have gone through their high school career thinking at least once: school isn’t important, I hate school or why should I even go to college? By getting a college education, students can set themselves up for success. Students who decide to go to college make more money, open up more choices for jobs, make important connections and become more independent. Students should seriously consider getting a college degree.

College graduates make more money than those who have only gone to high school. A lot more money, actually. Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has proven that in 2016, graduates of college made on average, $1,156 a week. A person with only a high school diploma earned about $692. 

College bound people also open up their choices for jobs. According to a study at Georgetown University in 2018, approximately 63 percent of jobs will require some college education or degree.  The jobs that once did not require any training now require a college degree. 

In college, students make new friends and other connections that will be helpful when it is time to get started in a career. Those friends they make in college will help them get jobs, and these connections and networks will help them throughout their lives. A recent Jobvite survey stated that 60 percent of employers’ best candidates are found through referrals. Meaning, someone recommended a candidate for the said position. Which is why it is important to make those connections.

Maybe most importantly, college is the first fully independent experience students will have and will give them an easier transition into adulthood. No one is getting them up every morning to check that they are going to class on time. There isn’t anyone to cook all of their meals, do their laundry or clean their living space. Students face real-life decisions with real-life consequences. Students are learning to be adults in college and figuring out what career path they want to take.

All of this shows that by getting a college education people are more likely to get a quality, high paying job and make better connections to help them later in life. It also can help a student to get used to living away from home, and is an easier transition into adulthood. Going to college and is one of the best things someone can do for their future.