How Beneficial Is A High School Education?

Written by: Lexi Fishe, Reporter

Many high schoolers often complain about how the curriculum they are being taught now will not be useful in their future.  However, 37% of adults still use information that they learned in high school(Renner). The knowledge that is learned in high school is not beneficial for students in high school and there can be ways to make it actually beneficial.

During Algebra I class, the curriculum requires an entire unit, one week, to spend teaching the Pythagorean Theorem. According to studyfinds.org, only 17% of careers actually require their employees to use algebra at all. Meaning somewhere around 83% of students really won’t use this information ever again. A way that teachers can change the content would be to make it beneficial for students in the future. 

English II students are required to complete four book reports each year, but how often in your post-secondary life do adults write book reports? Never. Although it’s proven that reading improves our knowledge, and the idea behind a book report is to improve communication and analytical skills, students can do this through different avenues such as working with others on communicating and analyzing. An example of this would be different situations given to the students 

Life skills such as knowing what debt is and how it can be helpful in the future when dealing with financial problems. Classes like Consumer and Personal Finance are on the right track teaching students about real-life situations, but all classes from science to English need to adjust to give students what they will need in the future.  

The adjustment of the content in classes can be altered in order to benefit others in the future. In math, teachers could teach their students different ways on how to manage their bank accounts. This will then benefit high schoolers and better prepare them for the future.