Dancers Are Overlooked

Dancers Are Overlooked

Written by: Emily Long, Reporter

To be a dancer, you have to obtain stamina, strength, discipline, flexibility, balance and agility. These are only some of the qualities that successful dancers acquire. To obtain these skills the training takes years to perfect. To not call it a sport is an insult to all dancers because dance has the same components as any other sport.    

Dancers take offense when what they love to do isn’t considered a ‘sport’ in most eyes. Dancers have the benefit of being both artists and athletes, not only the physical exertion that it takes, but also the creativity and gracefulness to perform. Dancers perform complicated leaps, multiple turns and other powerful tricks. 

Dancers have to focus on every detail of body position and have to hold poses that are perfectly aligned. They are constantly contorting their bodies into positions that are considered unnatural, which requires hours of training and patience. The training process for dancers is rigorous, and can often lead to severe injuries. As the practice schedule is more intense because the dance season is year-round. While training, dancers practice up to 21 hours per week, which is significantly more than a high school football team that only practices ten.

Professional dance is today regarded as one of the most demanding physical abilities and sports. According to studies done by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 80% of all professional dancers have at least one major injury during their career and staggering 93% of all dance teachers were forced into that position after a career-ending injury. The average retirement age for professional dancers is 30, and that is even without career-ending injuries. 

Dancing, like other sports, provides physical activity and is a great way to be active. According to a study that was conducted by the Better Health Channel, it lowers the chances for heart and blood vessel diseases, improves posture and weight, reduces stress and tension and improves brain function because of the constant presence of music. 

Dance is often not thought of as a sport, but that is not the case. Dance is a highly competitive sport, with competitions that reach nationals. The dance world has its champions, just like any other sport does. Dancers compete for titles just as much as any other sport. Dance competitions are held locally, nationally, and even internationally, where a panel of judges critique the dance for various assets such as having correct form to performance ability.  

Competitions in dance are more demanding because they not only have to hit every movement precisely, but they also have to match our movements to different parts of music. If it is a group dance, dancers have to synchronize with each other. If one person is off, that will affect the entire group score. 

Dance provides athleticism and performance. Dancers are not only great athletes, but they also have to be artists. There is more to dancing than shaking pom-poms to a routine on a football field. There is just as much time and passion that is put into dance for it not to be considered a sport.