Social Media is Beneficial to Students

Social Media is Beneficial to Students

Written by: Jaedin Turner, Reporter

88% of millennials use social media daily according to Quick Marketing. Since 2003, when MySpace was introduced, social media has quickly grown in popularity. Ranging from Instagram to Snapchat to YouTube there is something out there for everyone. Social media has proven to be a good addition to today’s world. Social Media benefits society by creating places for people to be connected, creative and informed.

Keeping in touch has been made a lot easier through social media. In fact, two out of three people use social media with the main focus to stay in touch with friends and relatives says web developer Russell Heimlich. Instead of messaging everyone separately, social media allows friends to share pictures and stories with a large number of people at the same time. Social media also allows individuals to express themselves to people who you don’t regularly see or live near.

If someone has an interest that isn’t common in the area where they live, then people are more likely to feel isolated or lonely as stated on The Washington Post. Social media allows people, especially teens, to find others who share the same interests as them. On Instagram, you can follow hashtags about topics that you enjoy from writing to sports and art. Social media also allows someone to see what is going on in the world.

Some forms of social media allow the users quick access to what is going on around them. This could be the weather or information about an event that is going on. For example, on Snapchat you can become informed on national news in less than five minutes. It highlights the important pieces and the information you need to know. 

Staying connected to the world, expressing yourself and easy access to news are a few of the reasons social media positively contributes to today’s society. Without social media, it would be difficult to know what is going on in distant family and friends lives. Also, it allows the users to see and send pictures to people in an effective way whom you might not see very often. Social media is also a place where you can find other people who have common interests as them. Social media is a growing part of today’s world that can be used for many different things.