Choosing Passion Over Pay

Written by: Riley Wilson, Reporter

High schoolers are pressured almost every day to choose what major they are going to study in college or what career they wish to pursue. It is the question their whole lives have seemed to lead up to. The problem is that students are pressured to pick a high-paying job over one they may enjoy more. Choosing a career based on what a person loves or what they are passionate about should always be a priority.

Someone does not have to search very far to find a person who is miserable at their job. This is such a common occurrence because many people base their careers on how much money they will make, not on how happy they will be. This can lead to a person spending their whole life in an unfulfilling job. Money may be able to buy nice things, but going to a job that bores a person or maybe even becomes a source of dread is not something they are going to want to do for the rest of their lives. 

Not only this but when a person loves their job, it can keep them motivated. When a person loves their career, they will want to become the best they can be at it. They can bring so much joy to not only themselves, but also to the people around them. Money can get you to do the job, but passion will allow you to reach your full potential. 

While it is important to have enough money to pay for basic expenses, choosing someone’s passion over a paycheck is okay. We live in a time where passion is profitable. Entire businesses have been created from people putting their passion into action. If someone can’t find a specific career that fits their passion, then it is possible for them to make it on their own. Anyone can be their own CEO.

Crystal Sagan, a 35-year-old who lives in Boulder, CO decided that her job was not giving her the chance to be as creative as she would have liked. She took a risk and decided to become a freelance writer and photographer for Powder Magazine. 

“My job has led to more priceless, life-changing, unreal adventures than I could have ever imagined,” said Sagan in a Huffpost interview. She finds she is able to give more quality work and have a more creative approach because of her love for the career. It is not something Sagan would have pictured herself doing, but she took a risk in deciding to do what makes her happy and she worked hard at it. 

“Choose something you love and you will never work a day in your life”… a common, but true quote. Just like everything, there are going to be hard days, but picking a major or a job you love can make everything worth it. When you wake up every day excited to go to work, you will know for sure you have made the right decision.