The Arts Deserve More Recognition

The Arts Deserve More Recognition

Written by: Gracie Hermreck, Reporter

Most students attend a school that has a multitude of activities, each with its own individual goal. While each club is adored by students and supported by members, the school itself fails to equally support and recognize all clubs. When one looks at the current stance on arts, the positive effects the arts have on one and the ways people can value artists, it is clear that students participating in the arts deserve more recognition. 

It is not uncommon for students and teachers to congratulate and parade around football and basketball players after games. Although it seems to students that participate in the arts: theater performances, band, orchestra and choir, that oftentimes the only praise they receive is from directors and parents. While students and staff are not forced to enjoy and take part in each activity, teachers should acknowledge the talents of both artists and players, congratulating them on success and making their talents seen and known.

It is also common for people to disregard the time and talent put into artistic creations, such as painting, sculpting, theater performances, etc. While the arts may or may not be as physically exhausting as some major sports, the arts still take a tremendous amount of time, effort, and concentration.

“I do not think most people recognize how much effort is truly put into performances. We have practice as often and for as long, if not longer, than most major sports. People think we sit around and sing, and this is not true,” stated member or the theater department, Elizabeth Cook.
According to Music Department Chair at New Mexico School for the Arts, Neil Swapp, the arts have a large effect on the development of a student. Not only is art said to have a positive impact on a student’s academic performance, art also impacts the person one will become. Neil also went on to state that the arts aid students in developing important skills, including resilience, grit and a growth mindset. These skills are imperative to mastering their craft, excelling academically and succeeding in life after high school. Creativity and hands on activities often associated with the arts also boost self confidence within students, teaching students to overcome insecurities and find their voice. A study done by the Department of Fundamental Neurosciences, also connects learning music, a form of art, to improvements in verbal memory, second language pronunciation accuracy, reading ability and executive functions in youth. By immersing students into the arts, one is able to draw them into the incredibly complex world of creativity and culture. 

The arts are also known for their inclusivity. The arts are able to create a safe environment through providing students an inclusive space to show their talents. People of all shapes, sizes, colors and sexualities are able to show off their creativity without judgement. Students do not need to be extremely fit or in perfect condition to do art, they are able to come just as they are. 

“The arts create a family. A family that does not judge one another and accepts each other for who they are,” stated theater student Ava Gunn. 

For many, it is easy to congratulate a student if their talent is well known and understood by one, although understanding and congratulating artists, whose talents are often more deep and personal, can be much harder. So how does one start? It is simple, first let them know that you recognize their talents. Then, take it a step further, go into detail. Describe the parts of their art that make you feel something, make their talents different from the rest. Let the artist know that you are glad they are here and are thankful for their hard work and deep dedication to their craft. 

Art is not a show you stream on TV, a game you crowd into the bleachers to watch, rather it is a deep, real and authentic look at creativity and culture. Look at art with gratitude, and always remember the work and dedication that art inspires.