Schools Need to Make Life Skill Classes Mandatory

Written by: Maya Serrano, Reporter

“When will I ever use this?” or “Is this really useful?” are questions that are asked among many high school students. Core classes such as math, reading, english and science all focus on preparing students for college, but what about the real world? Life skill classes are not considered a core class. These classes teach students how to function as adults by going over topics such as taxes, money management, career fields and leadership; These need to be more prevalent in the high school curriculum by being mandatory. 

According to Edweek.org, 81 percent of students felt that high school prepared them for college while only 52 percent said they felt prepared for the workforce. There are several crucial topics that need to be taught before a student enters the workforce. Classes such as consumer and personal finance, business communications and business math should be required to take so students can get a basic understanding of these concepts.

Core classes should really emphasize the importance of the work assigned and apply it to the real world. According to Philadelphia.cbslocal.com, 84 percent of people claim that they have learned things in school that they have never used after graduation. As kids leave high school, the world is unknown and some may not have the same learning resources that others have. With life skills classes being offered within our school, I think that they should be mandatory or students should take it upon themselves to take them. 

Already having knowledge and knowing what to expect in the real world can also be beneficial to mental health. Rushing into life without knowing where to start can be extremely damaging and discouraging. With 1 in 5 young adults already suffering from a mental illness, the last thing they should worry about is feeling like a failure after graduating. 

Overall, life skills classes should be mandatory within the high school curriculum. By highlighting the importance of these classes, students will have the opportunity to apply knowledge into the real world. Knowing information such as how to pay bills, apply for a job and communicate are skills that can be used in real life situations. It is necessary for schools to provide their students with the basic social, mental and physical skills needed to be successful in life after highschool.