Year-Round Training Sets Bobcat Football Up For Success

Written by: Maya Dodds, Reporter

The football team kicked off the season 2-0 with a 72-0 win over Bishop Ward and 38-0 win over Spring Hill, but the work started long before that.

“You know, it’s a year round program with football, so we get guys that play multiple sports during the school year and help make them a better athlete involving strength and conditioning pretty much year round,”  head coach Rod Stallbaumer said.

The team also attended multiple contact camps to see new competition.

“This summer we hit a couple different contact camps. [We] went to Pitt State and played against a lot of 5A, 6A competition. 7-on-7 here in the summer and had our camp. So we’ve invested a lot of time between last season and this season so hopefully we’re ready,” Stallbaumer said.  

While the team spent a majority of the summer training, they are still looking to find the final piece, chemistry.

“It’s always difficult to compare teams, you know we’re not very far into the season, but I think the group is coming together. But every year is a different year so it’s going to feel like a long process. I think this group is starting to come together here in the last week or two and hopefully it continues,” Stallbaumer said.

With five of the last year’s seniors continuing their football careers in the college, Stallbaumer is not concerned that this year’s underclassmen will step up and fill their roles.

“That’s the fun thing about being a program where you graduate really good talent every year, you have guys who’ve been working really hard and putting in the time to have their opportunity to showcase their talent. I think that we’ve got a lot of people who are going to surprise some people, who’ve really improved in the last year and hopefully maximize their opportunity,” Stallbaumer said.

This is the team’s last season in the Kaw Valley League, so they’re looking to leave their mark on the competition.

“I think there are a lot of them on the schedule this year. Turner had a real good run at the end of the year and really came on strong one play off game, they got a new coach and a lot of excitement over there. Piper’s always tough, they always have good athletes and they’re always well coached…” Stallbaumer said.

The team played against Spring Hill this previous friday and the ending score was 38-0. So far the team is 2-0.