The Golfing Girls

Written by: Tara Sitzmann, Reporter

Golfing can mean a variety of things for different people, especially for a group of girls at Basehor. For some, it shows them new ways to improve, mentally.

“Golfing really helps with your mental strength and teaches you individual strength and weakness,” senior Sarah Pickert said.

Through practice and practice, the girls were able to learn individual strengths and weaknesses. Keeping a positive mindset when playing.

“In golf, it’s really easy to get mad at yourself but you just have to be patient and think through the whole course.You have to realize that one bad shot isn’t gonna ruin the whole day,” senior Jada Mitchell said.

When playing the game, the girls must find themselves in the right mindset.

“It finds your individual mindset and challenges nobody else but you. When playing you are set in your own zone,” varsity player Riley Seuser said. “If you have a bad shot, you scold yourself and when you hit a good shot you reward yourself. It’s a mental game and I think it has helped my mental game a lot more because I’ve always been apart of team when playing sports that golf is a one-man sport in most ways.”

This season, there are four seniors. Mitchell, Pickert, and Payton Younger began playing their junior year. Seuser has been playing since her freshman year. Some players joined because they wanted a change in the sport they were playing.

“I used to play volleyball but then I realized I wasn’t going anywhere. So wanted to do something that was a personal sport. I tried golf and I really just fell in love with it. It’s nice because you don’t need a whole team to play,” Mitchell said.

From the beginning the team has grown closer. They’ve even learned to enjoy their long car rides with one another.

“I know that we have become a lot closer over the couple of years. Our car rides with Kaz (head coach Ryan Kazmeier) include deep talks and jam sessions to Hannah Montana or High School Musical. I’m so glad I have got the chance to play and become a lot closer with these girls. We have made lots of memories,” Seuser said.

A few of the girls see themselves in the underclassmen, from having similar problems on the course, to knowing they can do great things.

“I see myself in Maddie Lee because she is very determined and has the capability to do great things,” Pickert said.

For all of the golfers, but one, the season has come to a close. Lee will play in the state tournament on Oct. 16.