BLHS Girls’ Basketball Opens Against Bishop Ward, Looks to Senior Leadership

Photo by Nichole Smith

Photo by Nichole Smith

Photo by Nichole Smith

Written by: Miyala Harris, Reporter

This year’s basketball season is rolling around, the girls’ season opener is Dec. 1st. The team has a number of goals and expectations for the year, one of them is to make it to state. Senior captain Katie Yankovich believes that the girls aspire to be more aggressive and work harder in practice then they have in years past.  

“We have a lot of potential in our team this year, we’re very athletic and a lot of us have been playing together for a long time,” Yankovich said.

With a team of only 22 players, the girls plan to work together and create a stronger bond than they have previously.

“Our team is fairly small, so I think it’ll be helpful [in] making us work as a family and as a coercive group, and we’ll work a lot better together than we have in the years past,” Yankovich said.

In her senior campaign, Yankovich looks to work on her social skills and becoming a better leader for the team.

“This year I’m really trying to focus on being a vocal leader, on and off the court and being able to be there for the rest of the teammates like the younger girls and all that,” Yankovich said

The team has had the advantage of smaller guards that had speed and agility, this year Yankovich feels those assets will be challenged.

“I think one weakness would be our speed. We don’t have a bunch of small guards that are quick like we’ve had in the years past,”Yankovich said.

Head coach Jason Tatkenhorst hopes that the team will have no weaknesses this year but realizes that sometimes there will be some disadvantages that the team will need to improve on

“We will need to crash the boards to get lots of shots. The girls really work hard at being better shooters and getting to the free throw line and making free throws, but at the same time that is our weakness,” Tatkenhorst said.

The team looks to rebuild after losing a solid senior class.

“We lost three seniors last year, [and] they did a really great job. They were really team-first players. We’re hoping that’s the way this year’s team will be; they really set the tone with that,” Tatkenhorst said.

Tatkenhorst hopes to get to a program where he can just keep replacing players and players and believes that is what he is doing.

“We have some good leadership, four seniors, but we will also be putting come new players on the court,” Tatkenhorst said.