Wrestling starts 2018 with victory against Holton Dual

Written by: Tara Sitzmann, Reporter

The first dual of 2018 finished with a victory over Holton, 35-32, the first time the senior class has defeated the Wildcats. The team won seven out of nine matches wrestled with four pins and one major decision.

“Every day when we come in it’s about getting a good quality work out. Working hard every day to fine tune the fundamentals. Having fun, but yet making sure we’re instilling everyday that if we wanna be successful during our competitions we have to have successful practices. It’s really just a daily mindset of working hard each day and that helps us to be prepared when we come to competition,” said head coach Jason Puderbaugh.

With it being the team’s first home meet, there was pressure on the team to compete their best.

“I work great under pressure, in my opinion. In front of everybody. Everybody I know; friends, family. Even strangers. It’s fun and I love it. I wish I could wrestle home every meet, tournament, dual. I would,” said senior Jonny Trowbridge.

After Friday night the team had another meet at Bonner Springs on Saturday. The team finished sixth out of 15 teams with 108.5 points. Trowbridge took first in the 170 lbs weight class going 4-0. Dawson Lamberd took second in the 106 lbs weight class. Victor Bejarano got third in the 285 lbs weight class. Josh Willcutt got fourth in the 160 weight class. Kaden Jacobson got fifth in 145 lbs weight class. Zach Radefeld got fifth in the 126 lbs weight class. Hunter Parish got eighth in the 182 lbs weight class. Justin Gallup got sixth in the 152 lbs weight class. Drake Parkinson got eighth in the 113 lbs weight class.

The team’s next home meet is the annual Joe Keeler: Bobcat Classic, Friday Jan. 12 through the 13.