Girls and Boys Powerlifting place 1st and 2nd respectively at Mclouth Tournament

Written by: Miyala Harris, Reporter

The powerlifting team has competed in two meets this year, the McLouth meet where both teams placed 1st and the Royal Valley meet where the women took 1st and boys placed 2nd.

“With only one meet in the books, I think that we’re doing a really good job. We had a lot of young kids that kind of overperformed last week and did an awesome job. Our older kids did an excellent job of coaching them up, and so with one meet done I feel pretty good about this season so far,” Weiser said.

Sophomore Sydney Gall won first overall in her weight class 156 in the women’s division at McLouth.

“It felt really good all the hard work is finally paying off and I can’t wait to get stronger throughout the season,” Gall said.

While the team does practice throughout the week, the night before is used to prepare for their meets whether that is with sleep and/or certain rituals.

“Well the night before I usually carb-load and then the day of the meet, the adrenaline kind of takes me in, it just helps me lift more. I like to hype myself up and I try to jump around before I do my lifts,” Gall said.

While Gall prepares the night before, sophomore Auston Urban, winner of one of the junior men’s division prefers to prepare in the morning.

“Well I usually start out with an egg in the morning and then I sometimes take some pre-workout but other than that I just go for it,” Urban said.

With the team having multiple consecutive state titles (10 for the girls and 8 for the boys), their goal is to constantly get better and work better together everyday.

“I just want them to get better everyday. There’s a lot of technique that we need to work on, [and] that if they don’t do them everyday and continue to practice them, that they can slip pretty quickly when you go to competitions, but [just] focusing on the little things and not worrying about the end goals. Kind of just trusting the process and getting better everyday,” Weiser said.

The next meet for the powerlifters is Saturday at Leavenworth and St.Mary