Softball Loses in Double Header

Senior Reagann Bennett makes contact for base hit during the April 5 game against Paola. The Bobcats fell 15-1 in game one and 15-3 in game 2.

Written by: Trinity Krouse, Co-Editor in Chief

The softball team lost to Paola in both double header games on Thursday, April 5. The first game ended 15-1, and in the next game, the girls were only able to score two more runs than the first game, 15-3.

First baseman Kate Drennon was injured during warmups and was unable to play, which resulted in players moving to new positions. Despite the switch in roles, the losses came from a lack of hits.

“Our offense was unfortunately one thing that we just lacked tonight,” said senior Reagann Bennett. “Paola brought great pitchers with them that I believe psyched us out before we even got to hit against her.”

Undeterred by the scores, the girls were able to have moments of success. Bennett was able to pull through a run at the end of the first game.

“[By the 7th inning], The pitcher had a shut-out, no hit game against us,” said Bennett. “I had a 3-2 count, but was determined to hit the ball and get some runs scored. I had hit the ball to the centerfield fence and with the help of batters behind me [sophomore Sadie McWilliams and freshman Madison Davis] I was able to advance bases and score.”

The next double header for the softball team will be on Thursday, April 12 at home against Piper.

“There are many things to work on before our next game, but Paola I think is one the best teams we will see in our season,” said Bennett. “We will definitely be working on offense and just grinding it out everyday.”