The Mindset of the Boys Golf Team

Written by: Tara Sitzmann, Reporter

BLHS has had a golf team for almost 20 years. This year, the team has 18 players. Some old faces, some new.

“Of all the hazards, fear is the worst,” said Sam Snead.

This is something the golf boys have in common. Freshmen Jacob Elmer and Joey Langstraat both said that this was a quote they look up to.

I like this quote because you don’t want to be afraid of anything while golfing. You want to let everything go,” said Langstraat.

This is Langstraat’s first year playing high school golf. However, he’s been playing golf since age 2.

Golf gives me something to work at all the time, and a way to express myself,” said Langstraat.

The boys go straight to golf practice after school. They practice at Sunflower Hills Golf Course, Dub’s Dread Golf Club, and Falcon Lakes Golf Course. Elmer’s favorite course is the Painted Hills.

That is where I first went golfing with my dad and my grandpa, also it is also where my dad started to teach me how to play,” said Elmer.

Elmer has been playing golf since he was in the fourth grade. Langstraat started when he was about 3. After playing for so many years, Langstraat can recognize his struggle.

“The biggest struggle for me with golf has been to slow down and let the round come to me. I would tell someone in the same situation to walk slowly while they are on the course,” said Langstraat

As the team progresses they will learn from their struggles. Though their season just started, expectations are high.

“I believe we have a very experienced and talented, yet young team. Our expectations are high and we hope to compete for a league and state championship,” said head coach Cody Ziegler.

Their next tournament is April 17th against osawatomie at osawatomie. The tournament will begin at 1:00 pm.