Cross Country at Turner Invitational

Written by: Kristen Kahler, Reporter

The cross country meet at Turner on Wednesday, Sept. 14 resulted in many successes with varsity girls placing 1st with 43 points, varsity boys placing 2nd with 72 points, JV boys 6th with 189 points and JV girls 3rd with 88 points. In cross country, the lowest score wins.

“A perfect cross country score is 15 points. The first five runners from each team to cross the finish line recieve points for placings,” sophomore Trey Galvan said.

Varsity teams normally have seven runners, but the boys’ team had six at this meet and still managed to get second place.

“The course was tough, but we worked as a team and ran as a pack, which is why I think we did so well,” Galvan said.

To prep for this meet, the teams ran more hills, more mile repeats– meaning after running a mile, the team receives recovery time, then the team runs another mile– and a third tactic; a negative split.

“A negative split is when you start out slow, then every mile you run faster and faster so you can pass people at the end,” sophomore Madyson Trower said.

The course for the 5k at Turner was a definite change.

“Our course is a very unique cross country course, one that will push the athletes to their fullest, and we hope they enjoy their experience on one of the more challenging courses in the area,” Turner Cross Country Coach David Vaughn said.

The next cross country meet is the KU Classic Rim Rock in Lawrence on Sept. 22 at 6:20 a.m.